Community care and statutory funding

Support for everyday life
An aerial view of a neighbourhood in the UK illustrating the importance of community care and statutory funding after major trauma

Quickly Find...

Funding support for your care needs following discharge from hospital

After suffering major trauma, your injuries might mean that your life has changed dramatically. If you need help and support from others to manage your day-to-day needs, or you need adaptations to your home or have complex health needs, you may need a package of care. You may be able to receive care and support in your own home or you may need to live in a specialist setting.

There are many ways in which you can be supported. This will depend on an assessment by the medical professionals who have treated you. Once this is agreed then a decision can be made on who should provide the care, what care needs to be put in place before you can be discharged and who should pay for this.

What is statutory funding?

Statutory funding is when a public body pays for your care and support. If you are assessed as eligible to receive funding it will be paid for by the NHS or your local council. This will depend on your circumstances and how much support you need.

The options are:

  • NHS continuing healthcare funding; or
  • Support under the Care Act 2014.

NHS continuing healthcare funding means that all the costs of your care are paid for by the NHS. This is awarded to those with very serious health related care needs.

Local authorities can help you meet your care needs if they assess that they have a duty to do this under the Care Act 2014. They will usually require a contribution towards the cost of your care package and if you have savings that are over a certain amount then you will have to pay for all of your care and support.

You may need more support as you settle into your new way of life, but may be able to reduce the level of input once you have become more accustomed to managing your needs.  This may also change how your care is funded.

Your solicitor can provide you with support to understand which kind of funding you will be entitled to. Your solicitor can explain the process for getting that support and how your care package should be tailored to your needs.

What is intermediate care?

This is the care service that you may receive when you are first discharged from hospital;  it is sometimes called “reablement” or “rehabilitation”. This is provided by Social Services and is free for up to six weeks. It is free to all, no matter what income or savings you have. The purpose of this support is to help you regain the skills needed to be independent and can also act as an assessment to see what ongoing support you require.

How will it be decided if I am eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding?

The discharge team at the hospital will complete a checklist if they think that you may be eligible. This will trigger a full assessment of your needs through a decision support tool (“DST”). This is carried out by a multi-disciplinary team who will assess your needs over thirteen headings and put forward a recommendation. A panel will then decide whether your care needs are health-related and require NHS funding. It is incredibly helpful to have access to the right level of care as soon as possible, and, with the right guidance, you can make sure you are not missing out on any potential care and help available to you.

What is a Care Act assessment?

Social Services must carry out an assessment of needs before deciding whether you will be eligible to receive a package of care funded by your local council. They will assess whether you have a need arising from a physical impairment or illness which means you are unable to achieve two of the outcomes from the list below without support, pain, danger, anxiety or taking a long time:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition;
  • Maintaining personal hygiene;
  • Managing toilet needs;
  • Being appropriately clothed;
  • Being able to make use of the home safely;
  • Developing and maintaining family and other relationships;
  • Accessing work, education, volunteering or training;
  • Making use of the local community; and
  • Carrying out caring responsibilities for a child

Will I have to sell my home to pay for my care?

This will depend on your circumstances and whether you remain at home or move to a different setting that is more suited to your requirements.

Can I get financial assistance for adaptations to my home?

You can apply for a grant for up to £30,000 from the local council called a “disabled facilities grant”. Any minor adaptations and equipment under £1,000 will be free, no matter what your financial circumstances are.

If I receive State funded care will my benefits be affected?

As soon as you start to receive care in any form, there is a chance that your benefit entitlement will change. We want to ensure that you are receiving the right benefits, the full amount you are entitled to, and can help you look into this further as early as possible in the process.

Finding the right type and level of support for your everyday life is a crucial part of your rehabilitation journey after you have returned home from hospital after major trauma. There are different services, treatments, funding and aids that you can utilise to maximise your quality of life and to assist your family and carers; we are in the best position to offer you advice and guidance as to the right approach.

Can you help me with community care and statutory funding?

If a loved one has had life-changing injuries as a result of major trauma it is likely that there has also been a substantial impact on the lives of those around them, including possibly providing every-day care. We can help you with the statutory funding and community care support that would help with their day-to-day needs.

If you would like our help with community care and statutory funding please get in touch.

An aerial view of a neighbourhood in the UK illustrating the importance of community care and statutory funding after major trauma

Quickly Find...

How we can help...

> %
of people who leave hospital are unaware of the legal advice they are entitled to

Get expert local legal expertise at the touch of a button

We value your privacy, the information you provide will only be shared with the most appropriate member firm to enable them to help with your enquiry.
Please tick the box to confirm you agree with this.

Other ways we can help

A scene at dusk as the moon rises above a lake. This image illustrates the importance of wills and probate legal advice after major trauma injuries

Wills and probate

Very few people make plans for what would happen to their finances and health should they ever suffer injury, illness or disability as the result of a serious accident. If the worst happens, there can

Read More »
A baby held by her Father illustrating the importance of family and the impact major trauma injuries can have on the family unit


When you receive any compensation payment relating to major trauma you have suffered, you may want to protect this, particularly if all or part of it is needed to fund future care or housing needs.

Read More »
A family enjoy time together at the beach illustrating the importance of accurate financial planning advice after suffering major trauma injuries

Financial planning

If you have suffered an accident that has caused major trauma injury or illness it is likely that you will suffer from financial worries of some kind. This is only natural, but it is important

Read More »
A man smiles as he sits on his bed next to his wheelchair illustrating the role the Court of Protection can play in safeguarding people with major trauma injuries

Court of Protection

A lack of mental capacity One of the injuries that may be faced after a major trauma is a brain injury which could affect a person’s ability to make decisions on their own.  This is

Read More »

Find funding to support everyday life

Skip to content