Specialist Nutrition Rehab offers private, community-based nutrition and dietetic services for adults with a brain injury, spinal cord injury, orthopaedic injury or cerebral palsy. We also specialise in helping individuals with taste and/or smell loss.
Our dietitians offer both home visits and video appointments to clients throughout the UK.
We strive to offer the most comprehensive and cutting-edge dietetic practice in the country for clients after a catastrophic injury. Our goal is to maximise our clients’ nutrition, weight and health to enhance recovery and allow people to lead healthy, active lives. We do this while also helping people eat foods that they love.
The most common reasons people are referred to a dietitian include:
- excess weight gain following an injury;
- excess weight loss which someone is struggling to correct;
- pressure sores or slow healing wounds;
- gut-related symptoms such as constipation, diarrhoea, IBS or abdominal pain;
- dysphagia (once someone has been diagnosed by a Speech and Language Therapist);
- taste and smell loss;
- non-union of an orthopaedic injury;
- diabetes, coeliac disease or the management of other chronic health conditions.
If you are wondering why nutrition is important after a major trauma/injury, it’s helpful to think of your body like a house, with a 24-hour live-in renovation team. What you eat and drink provides the building materials that your renovation team will use to repair any day-to-day damage, in addition to repairing damage caused by a major trauma or injury. High quality building materials (from a nutritious diet) allows your renovation team to make repairs to a very high standard. A less nutritious diet means building blocks maybe missing, or of a poor quality, and your renovation team won’t be able to repair the damage to a high standard.